Adrian Dater... prepare to be served.

Ok there has been something that the Master Beat reporter, or Master Beater for short, Adrian Dater keeps writing in his blog posts all season and it has annoyed me all season. He did it again in his Columbus-Avs post game blog and I just can't sit idly by and let him besmirch something I feel so strongly about. Enough is finally enough and It's about time I let him know about it. So Dater, enough is enough:

The Colorado Avalanche do not have Royal Blue in their color scheme! (what You thought I was going to talk about goalies or something?)

Seriously it's driving me crazy. The Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks, New York Rangers, and Tampa Lightning all have vast amounts of Royal blue in their jerseys. The Avs don't have any. Here'look at the picture below of Milan Hejduk against the Vancouver Canucks:
See the blue on Hejduk's sleeve and how it doesn't match the Blue on the Canucks jersey. Now I'm not a man who just goes out with an opinion with no facts to back it up. So here's what I did. I took color samples from 10 different Avs photos from various Hockey websites and looked at their Red-Green-Blue content in Photoshop. I took the color samples from The Avs official site (in 2 or three different areas), a picture from the Denver Post photo gallery, One from Yahoo! sports, one from TSN, one from NHL.com and one from the Rocky Mountain News. After taking them and averaging them together the color profile of the Avs' blue is

R- 20
G- 70
B- 124

I also took swatches of Royal blue form: A google search of "Royal Blue" the Rangers, Canucks, Lightning, and Maple Leafs. The average color profiles from those swatches are:

R- 11
G- 38
B- 117

This may seem like a small amount, but here's those two colors when put in photoshop:

Avs Blue: 20-74-124

Royal Blue: 11-38-117

See, there's a difference. I don't know what to call the Avs Blue, the closest I could find was a paint swatch by Sherman-Williams called "Dignity Blue" (30-70-116) but that just sounds stupid, so i refuse to call it that.

In the comments you can leave your suggestions, and I'll run a poll or something to decide what we should call the Avs' blue. One thing is certain, it ain't Royal Blue


13 comments:

  1. Regal blue? :P

    Yeti blue?

    Frostbite blue?

    Lazy blue?

    Purple?

    Ah, I got nothin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jibble,

    Please hand in your man card. Men do not distinguish between the major color groups. My wife calls a color "Salmon". The ladies use terminology like Turqouis, Crimson and Emerald. Me, I don't know if those are really colors or not. Even the Avalanche try to pull this BS with "Burgandy". I have no idea what the hell they are talking about. The Avs wear Blue, Red and White. I refuse to hear different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dario,

    Uniform Watching is ok, even for men

    It's a brave new world, try and keep up

    Sincerely
    Jibbles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a copy of the Avalanche logo direct from Pepsi Center (my company sponsored the Avs). The blue is Pantone 647 which Photoshop translates to RGB 17, 86, 139. Not sure if that helps but I thought I'd throw it out there. A man's gotta know what color he's wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I'm not sure if it's the same distinction of blue that it was back in the days of say, oh Starter or ProPlayer jerseys, but I believe it was called Copenhagen Blue...or something similar. Don't quote me on it, and I'm sure I could look up Copenhagen Blue through google or something, but that's what I've always known it to be. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these guys describe it as steel blue:
    http://www.ssur.org/research/TeamColors/Hockey/NationalHockeyLeague/NationalHockeyLeague.htm

    the Avs media guide just calls it blue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sooooooooooooo going to mention Dignity Blue to get you riled up in the future, just like I make fun of Joe and his never-to-be-completed Top 19 list. It truly is a Happy New Year...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pffttt. Dignity Blue... you might as well just call it Stripper Blue.

    But I think I'll just call it Rebound Control Blue and leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank god that my red/green color blindness doesn't exempt me from this discussion.

    I believe that this is the same shade of blue that Walmart uses - which feels about right for the skill level of our team currently. Hopefully we can begin the rebuilding process before we have to start skating Walmart employees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, good post Jibbles.
    Sorry, just going by what the Avs have long called their color of blue. It has always stuck in my memory that the way the team called their colors was "Burgundy and Royal Blue." It's in their official literature. What's a Master Beater to do?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Master Beater:

    You have contact with their PR lackeys. They need to know what's up. I agree with Michael in the above comments I think Pantone 647 is the right color, which isn't royal blue.

    ReplyDelete