Ducks run amok

Of all the teams in the NHL that I have grown to loathe in the NHL, the Ducks of Anaheim have rapidly climbed to the top of the hate ladder. Last season in the playoffs I literally had to talk myself into rooting for them over the Red Wings. Of all the four reasons the only one that really still applies is Snoop Dog. McDonald is gone, Brad May is still there, as is Bertuzzi. Then there's their general manager Brian Burke (pictured below):They played a game against the Avs the other month was an absolute atrocity in sportsmanship and clean play. While I was busy admonishing the (still) tired antics of Cody McLeod the Ducks have an entire team full of them. Ducks supporters are quick to point out that Anaheim is the most penalized team in the league, but it always feels as if they are getting away with stuff. I couldn't quite pinpoint the reason why. Dean Brown, who runs a Senators blog, but I get the feeling is part of the MSM pinpoints exactly what I hate about the Ducks on-ice play.

My only problem with Brown's points is that he respects the Ducks for it. Why? it's cheating. It's flat-out cheating to win. And it works. And it's a typical Burke crap move. Not only do Burke's teams have a history of this (remember the Burke Canucks?) but he actually whines like a baby when he's called on it. After the early season spat of suspensions (ridiculous in their lack of severity I might add) Burke whined to the media that he thought less suspensions were necessary, and that some of those suspended hits didn't even deserve one? Why because his players are more likely to be suspended.

So the Ducks are cheaters. there's really not much better way to say it. Why should I respect that?

UPDATE: Earl Sleek, the Ducks fan of Battle of California, has an as usual good take on this, and this blog entry. First of all, I'm complaining about the referee's before the game even takes place, so any complaints I have after tonight are completely valid. Second he rationalizes it well, and he makes some solid points, but the point remains. If a referee isn't calling penalties properly he is affecting the game. This "let the players decide the game" argument only if they are both following the rules of the game.

9 comments:

  1. 1) Looks like the Ducks are picking up where they left off last season with ONE big difference: Fewer people are pulling for them this time.
    2) Last year they were a new story around the league. Sure they got into a few more scraps than most teams, and had guys like Pronger who are among the most disliked in the league, but they never won, and it seemed like a good story (unless you were a fan of a team they beat last season)
    3) This time its no longer a 'new thing.' Bertuzzi is added to the goon list. Niedermayer and Selanne took off 1/2 seasons and came back at their leisure. Brian Burke's mouth, etc. etc.
    4) Sorry this year while we believe the Ducks ARE the favourites, we will be pulling for someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah i agree, last year i knida sort of pulled for them, mostly because of JS Giguére and his son. The Niedermeyer Bros and Selanne only. But the 2/3 of a season off by 2 of the three has kind of taken that away for them.

    Even last season I wasn't thrilled with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should I cheer for my hero or my ex Cappy?? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh, but I heart my hero...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello...My name is Jay Vean and I have been producing an Avalanche podcast called "The Avs Hockey Podcast" this hockey season. I post a show about every week and it covers pretty much everything that has to do with the Avalanche. I enjoy checking in with your blog and I've seen your name plenty over on Shane's blog as well. Keep up the good work!


    If you have a few extra minutes, please check out my show here: http://avshockeypodcast.podomatic.com/ If you like what you hear would you please consider adding my show to your page somewhere? I would really appreciate you helping a fellow huge Avs fan out. I'm just trying to get the word out to as many other Avs fans out there as possible.

    If you have any questions or comments please feel free to get in touch with me at avalanchepodcast@comcast.net.

    Take care and of course, Go Avs! Jay Vean

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOATHE the Ducks. I did like McDonald, and I used to like Niedermayer before he became a pain in the ass, but that's it. Snoop Dogg's support of the team was cool, but still. Whenever Brian Burke speaks, I want to throw up in my mouth a little bit.

    I agree with your assesment that they are cheating.

    I do enjoy Earl Sleek's posts, though. He's always entertaining, even if he's justifying my second most hated team in the league.

    I have a problem. The Avs come into town the day I'm supposed to go back to school. The game is at 5PM central time, and flying back to the west coast I gain two hours. Is it worth being hella tired in practice (5AM practice time) and my classes to see Joe Sakic?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it worth being hella tired in practice (5AM practice time) and my classes to see Joe Sakic?

    It's only one game, be tough, be a hockey player

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's what I thought too, I've been trying to get someone to back me up on this, but everyone out here fails to appreciate the awesomeness of Joe Sakic. My friends at home probably want me to go back to school so they can have my tickets to the game...

    ReplyDelete